Our first chapbook reading period is open from December 1st to the 31st!
We are looking to publish 3 poetry chapbooks by working writers, which we define loosely as anyone who does not make a living from writing alone. The manuscript should be 14-26 pages of poetry that has not previously been published as a whole. We aren’t considering translation at this time.
How We Choose What to Publish
Workhorse’s mission is to provide opportunity and access to writers at all stages of their practice. We incorporate writers/readers from our community to discuss the manuscripts and come to a final decision on what to publish. We hope to publish local writers and writers who we would like to introduce to our community. If you want to know more about us before submitting visit www.workhorsewriters.com.
What Authors Receive upon Publication
We want to provide an opportunity for a zero cost publication for our authors. Along with no reading fee to submit, author’s receive 75 copies of their book (from a print run of 150), $150 dollars toward travel expenses for readings they may give, and, if local, a featured reading at the Wild Fig to celebrate their release.
Help Us Sustain and Expand This Opportunity
This reading series is possible thanks to the generous support of people in our community of writers. If you would like to become one of those people, click this link to checkout ways to get involved. And join us on Facebook and Instagram!
Thank you. We can’t wait to read your work!
- Manuscripts should be 14-26 pages.
- We cannot publish previously published collections.
- Only submit one collection.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine.
- We do not need a cover sheet.
- One poem per page, multi-page poems are good.
- Use a standard, 12-point font Times New Roman.
- We cannot allow revisions once a manuscript has been submitted.
- Decisions will be made by February 15th, 2018.